Goals

"Welcome to Life

I hope you enjoy it

In between yesterday and tomorrow

Welcome to Life

I hope that you get it right"

~Welcome to Life

This song was introduced to me by a dear friend and over the past several months it's become one of my favorites as it reminds me that life won't suddenly start one day -- I'm living it right now! In a time of year when life is evaluated and resolutions are made, I've been thinking about goals for my life...

Credit: Google
I've always been a girl who set New Year's resolutions, but, like many, I've generally ended up falling off the wagon when things got difficult. After all, lofty goals that require extreme and immediate change are usually a bit difficult to keep :P But over the past few years, I've discovered two things that are absolutely essential to accomplishable goals...

First is the acknowledgement that life change is possible only through the power of Jesus Christ. Recently I read Isaiah 64:8,
     
    "We are the clay, and You our potter;
     And all we are the work of Your hand."

God is the molder and changer of lives. He is the only one who can bring about change in my life. When I find myself seeking to improve little aspects of my character in my own strength, I realized that I have failed to remember that I am not capable of working any lasting change. What I do without dependence and trust in God, I am doing in vain.

The second item is that of accountability. While I set a goal, I communicate with the people in my life -- my parents, siblings, CollegePlus coach, and friends. Goals not communicated usually end up forgotten about and pushed aside in the busyness of life. However when I communicate my goals, I make a commitment, not just to myself, but to others and this accountability helps me stick to my goals in the difficult times.

I will never get life perfectly "right" as the song puts it. However, I do seek to honor Christ through my life. This involves challenging myself to deeper levels both in my spiritual walk and in the more practical areas of life and setting "goals". I hope that through this blog, you too are encouraged to,

"...walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy; giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light." ~ Colossians 1:10-12

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment